CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Due Jan. 30, 2019
The Inter-University Program for Latino Research is now accepting applications for the IUPLR/UIC Mellon Fellowship Program
(academic year 2019-20). The program supports doctoral students in the humanities who are writing dissertations in
Latina/o studies. Doctoral students in the social sciences whose research uses humanities methods may also be considered. The fellowship facilitates completion of the dissertation and provides professional development, writing support, and
mentoring from faculty members in Latino Studies. The fellowship includes a $25,000 stipend, participation in an intensive summer institute in Chicago, and professionalization and writing workshops and programs.
Applicants are required to meet with the director of their center before
they apply to assess eligibility and obtain a letter of recognition to submit with their application. Applicants must have advanced to candidacy (ABD status with defended proposal) and be completing a Latino Studies dissertation in the humanities or in a humanities-adjacent discipline. Applicants should already have a significant portion of the dissertation drafted and anticipate defending their dissertation by the end of the fellowship year. Finally, applicants should be planning to pursue an academic career in teaching and/or research.
During the fellowship year, students must be enrolled at their home institution. Fellows will be expected to forego other employment during the year. Selected fellows are required to attend the one-week IUPLR/Mellon Summer Institute in late summer 2019 in Chicago, attend and present at IUPLR conferences (in select years), and take part in a very structured writing program.
IUPLR will select fellows through six designated research centers:
● The Center for Mexican American Studies and the Department of Mexican American and Latina/o Studies at the University of Texas at Austin
● The Center for Mexican American Studies at the University of Houston
● The Chicano Studies Research Center at UCLA
● The Dominican Studies Institute at CUNY
● The Center for Puerto Rican Studies at CUNY
● The Latin American and Latino Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago
To apply, please submit the following materials by January 30th to the online portal at https://mfp.lals.uic.edu
● Cover letter that describes your dissertation, timeline to completion and your professional goals
● Completed chapters with compiled in a single PDF. Include as a cover page a one page outline with chapter titles, brief chapter summaries, and percentages of each chapter completed. If you do not have any completed, you may just submit the outline.
● Two recommendation letters (one from the applicant’s dissertation chair and a Latina/o Studies faculty member) sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
● Letter of recognition from the Director of the IUPLR center or Fellowship Coordinator at the applicant’s home institution sent directly to email@example.com
Join us for this special one-day conference at UIC.
Friday, September 16, 2016 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Space is limited. Lunch included. Advance registration is required.
Click here for more information.